Quantum Snap Server and Samba NT Domain

Chris Wood cwood at wencor.com
Mon Dec 11 20:01:14 GMT 2000

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, David Atkinson wrote:

> [David Atkinson]  Have you got encrypted password support ?

Yep, I do use encrypted passwords on Samba.  Another Samba user ran into
this same problem with his Snap and was told by Quantum that they do not
support "emulation software" and they consider Samba an emulation package.

Luckily, Quantum offers a 30-day money back guarantee... And I'm going to
take them up on it.  Below are some problems I found with it for those out
there that may be considering one.

Problems I found with Snap Servers:

1. NFS mounts cannot handle file locks.  Pine fails in trying to
write out to the NFS mount and gives a lock error.  Wordperfect 5.2 does
the same thing.

2. The snap server converts unix file permissions to a very default global
approach (rw for all files and 777 for all directories).

3. To handle NFS, you have to manually setup each individual user that
will connect via NFS on the Snap server itself.  There isn't any way to
globally set this up, so you have to do them all by hand.  (Authentication
is based on IP and User ID on unix server, no password involved.)

4. Won't talk to Samba Servers for authentication.

5. Windows permissions are also fairly global.  You can only apply
access on a share level and not control any sub-folder permissions.  Not
too big of a deal, but if you want home directories for users then you
have to create a share for each individual user in order to restrict
access.

6. The administration interface is ok, but doesn't let you do any changes
across the board.  I would have liked to see some import features to
correct problems like #3 above and maybe some template abilities for
creating shares.

7. I would have also liked to see more granular security ability.  I don't
consider our environment a high risk, but common sense dictates using
security.  We don't want to do anything tricky, but even simple security
seemed to be a lot of work with the Snap Server.

Overall, if you use a pure Microsoft environment it's probably more useful
than a mixed environment (which is their target).

--

Chris Wood                         Kitco, Inc.