Machine Account Usernames and *BSD

Anders C. Thorsen anders at aae.wisc.edu
Sun Dec 10 16:38:57 GMT 2000

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 04:02:07AM +0100, Anders Vedmar wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Jacob Rosenberg wrote:

[snip]

>  This would work for Linux, should work for FreeBSD as well I suppose:

No. On FreeBSD the /etc/passwd stuff is slightly different :)

PS: On Linux you can replace the '$' with '\$" to have it pass trough
most adduser commands.

use "vipw" as the FAQ describes.

I also believe that there is some effort put into removing machine accounts
from /etc/passwd, but it isn't on the top of the list. And should probably
be done when the passdb backend stuff has been rewriten.

--Anders