Machine Account Usernames and *BSD

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Sun Dec 10 23:37:42 GMT 2000

At 05:47 PM 10/12/2000 -0500, Jacob Rosenberg wrote:
>[from: http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/ntdom_faq/page2.html]
>
>>To create the machine account on the Samba PDC, first create an account
>>in /etc/passwd for the username workstation_name$. .....

>The problem with this is that FreeBSD does not seem terribly eager to
>permit the '$' character into userids.

Please look at the 2.2 FAQ and Howtos, (any mirror) samba main page ->
Documentation -> Pre-release 2.2 PDC documentation.
You will see FAQ question "I cannot include a '$' in a machine name." ? It
deals with just that issue. (make the entry without the $ and change it
with vipw.).

David

David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au