SMB.CONF: valid users VS. read/write list

Stokes edmundo at moscow.com
Sun Dec 10 06:08:41 GMT 2000

Samba users/developers,

Last night I compiled yesterday's CVS distribution of alpha 2.2 a number of
services began denying access for users who had already authenticated with
the samba pdc.  After some investigation and experimentation I found that
those shares that didn't work all had a "valid users = [userlist]" in my
smb.conf.  Changing this to "read list = [userlist]" or "write list =
[userlist]" fixed the problem and users could once again browse shared
folders on the PDC.  However, the PDC machine no longer shows up in a
Windows Network neighborhood as it used to, but going directly to the
machine (i.e. "\\SambaServer" in a command prompt) works just fine.

Also regarding my usage of samba as a PDC, I couple of days ago I changed
the "workgroup" (as specified in smb.conf) to string with an odd number of
characters after reading a message on that topic so that win2k machines on
the network could join the domain.  Since doing that, and even after
rebooting the server, users are still able to authenticate with the PDC
regardless of whether they are logging on to the new domain or the old one,
but not if they just make up a domain name and type it in.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Similar experiences or ideas?  Also, i just
noticed that every time a user opens a samba share on the server it spits
out messages like this:

pid 459 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6
pid 460 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6
pid 461 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6
pid 462 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6
pid 463 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6

over and over many times.

In case it helps, I am running FreeBSD 4.1 on a pentium II machine with lots
of ram, and none of these problems occured before I compiled latest CVS last
night.

Stokes