win 9x domain logons from non-local subnet

Shaun Lipscombe shaun.lipscombe at gasops.co.uk
Fri Dec 8 13:10:07 GMT 2000

* "Richard" == Richard Sharpe <sharpe at ns.aus.com> writes:

 > Ummm, can you run that by me again?

Sorry.  I'll see if I can make it clearer.  All I want to do is have
two workgroups on seperate ip networks with a file server in one that
can be accessed from both nets *and* browsing and scripts to make the
mapping of shares easier.  I can send the smb.conf of both boxes (only
two samba boxes are involved and one is a router (joining the two ip
nets).  One thing that is interesting is that the router has had its
third network card disabled, but samba still tries to use it even
though I took it out of the interfaces parameter in the smb.conf.

 > When a client (Win95) looks for a logon server, it does so in a
 > domain/workgroup.

All the machines in wrkgrpA and wrkgrpB are configured to logon to
wrkgrpB.  WrkgroupA and wrkgrpB are on seperate IP networks connected
via a router.  The router is a wins server and a master browser for
wrkgrpA and a file server in wrkgrpB is a wins server and a master
browser for wrkgrpB.  The file server needs to share its printer and
disk to machines in both its workgroup (and subnet) and wrkgrpB.  To
do this I have implemented the file server as a logon server for the
95 clients and this works fine.

 > Do you mean that both workgroups share the one WINS server?

No I have two wins servers and get the clients in wrkgrpA to register
with the wins server in wrkgrpB and vice versa.  This way I seem to
get a complete browse list.

 > To really see what is going wrong/on we need to see a trace of the
 > activity when the clients that fail, fail.

The reason, "I" believe, that it *was* (it is now working by the way
but I want to know why its working!) failing is because I was getting
(on an NT) "Access Denied" when doing a "net view \\host" from a host
in wrkgrpA on a host in wrkgrpB (namely I could not do a net view on
the file server in wrkgrpB from a NT host in wrkgrpA) and a "network
path not found" error when trying to do the same thing but from a 95
host in wrkgrpA.  Because it could not view the host, it could not run
the login script from the netlogon share on that host (or am I
wrong?).  Anyway as soon as I set the fileserver up to run wins the
browsing worked on the other subnet and at the same time the login
scripts started working.

 > You can get one with tcpdump:

 >    tcpdump -i ethn -s 1500 -w logon.cap

If I get the problem again (probably will knowing me) I will run that
command.  The error from the logon was "no domain server was available
to validate your request, some network services may not be available
yada yada yada..."

Shaun

--
          (o_