Config file & Log

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Fri Dec 8 11:47:12 GMT 2000

On 8 Dec 2000, Shaun Lipscombe wrote:

> How do I find out from nmbd which config file it defaults too?  The
> reason I ask is I seem to have one box that reads from
> /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf and another that reads from
> /etc/smb.conf and the only thing I can think of is that (both compiled
> from source) I modified the makefile on one of them.  Is there a way
> to get the built in config file location?  Also..... I have logs in
> /usr/local/samba/var/log.nmb *and* /var/log/samba/log.nmb (as well as
> individual machine logs).  Both logs seem to be in use although
> written to at different times.  This makes it hard for me to know
> which log to look in, to diagnose problems.  Have I messed up the
> logging?

configure script have many option to set file paths (configure --help to
see them)

if you set (in configure) a log path and then provide a different one in
smb.conf nmbd will start with the former until the smb.conf file is
parsed; at this point it will switch to the one set in smb.conf (if
different).

regards,
simo.

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451