Quantum Snap Server and Samba NT Domain

Chris Wood cwood at wencor.com
Thu Dec 7 20:35:48 GMT 2000

No luck. :(  I did already have the machine setup as a workstation (but I
did it as all uppercase, not lowercase) without any luck.  I tried it the
lowercase way too, but smbpasswd seems to convert it back to
uppercase.  For some reason, my samba install doesn't seem to pay
attention as to whether machines are setup in the smbpasswd file or
not.  I can connect from machines that aren't setup in that file but the
users are.  (I've never understood why it doesn't enforce this.)

The Snap server requires a valid logon name (username), if I give it a bad
one it will tell me that the server rejects the login.  If I give it a
good one, it gives me an error that says "SMB: failed to connect to IPC$
on domain controller".

When users try to connect to a share that they don't have access to
(because I can't give them access), the snappy will show them as connected
and validated but with no files open.

--

Chris Wood                         Kitco, Inc.