win 9x domain logons from non-local subnet

Shaun Lipscombe shaun.lipscombe at gasops.co.uk
Thu Dec 7 16:12:56 GMT 2000

I have a curious problem which may be due to the way I have things
setup.

SITUATION:

 Samba Box (2 nics)
 ----------------
|master browser |-------------|WORKGROUP B |
----------------                      \
       | eth0                     eth0 \  Samba Box 2
       |                            -------------
       |                           | local master|
 --------------                    | and domain  |
| WORKGROUP A  |                   | logon server|
 --------------                    | for wkgrp B |
                                    -------------

In workgroup A I have the router which is a local master browser for
workgroup A *and* a domain master browser.  It also acts as a wins
server.  Within workgroup B I have another Samba box (yipee!) That is
the local master browser for workgroup b and is also a logon server
(domain logons = true).  Now machines in workgroup b get their logon
scripts run fine but machines in workgroup a get a "no domain server
was available" message.  Network neighboorhood works fine ( I can see
workgroup A and B) due to me having a local master browser for each
subnet *and* a domain master browser to collate one list.  The local
master browser that is the logon server points to the WINS server via
the WINS SERVER = parameter.  testparm shows the config is fine for
both boxes.  The machines in workgroup a are configured to login to
the wkgrp b domain in the bottom box of the microsoft windows network
login box and I *do* know that it can work like this because I have
done it before (but cannot remember how I did it).  I am pretty sure I
have missed out something simple.  The only clue I have to go on is
the error message I get.

smbclient -L gives:

Workgroup          Master
---------          -------
GMSLA              Router
GMSLB              otherbox

Shouldn't there be a Domain Master section in the output as well
(IIRC).

Any help in resolving this matter would be appreciated as I am tearing
my hair out.

Regards,

Shaun

--