Network Neighbourhood

Jim Morris Jim at Morris.net
Thu Dec 7 14:47:38 GMT 2000

Hello Richard,

Wednesday, December 06, 2000, 1:50:56 AM, you wrote:

RS> At 10:03 AM 12/7/00 +0000, Shaun Lipscombe wrote:
>>
>>I have two IP networks joined by a linux router.  Each ip network is
>>its own workgroup.  I have the router as a WINS server and it is also
>>the MASTER browser for WorkgroupA.  A machine in WorkgroupB is the
>>local master browser for WorkgroupB and is a logon server for Windows
>>9x clients.  Doing a smbclient -L machine, shows that the machines are
>>performing the intended role but every now and then one of the
>>browsers disapears from the list and network neighborhood stops
>>working.  At the moment there is no browser for WorkgroupA (although
>>it was there a couple of days ago).  Does anyone have any clue as how
>>to proceed, or indeed comment on wether the setup I have is flawed in
>>any way.

I have to agree with Richard on this one - if this was working, and no
longer is, you need to check and make sure that nmbd is still running
on the system that is the WINS server.

Secondly, are all PC's on WorkgroupA & WorkgroupB using the router as
their WINS server?  I have a similar setup, but with two offices that
are connected by a VPN tunnel between Linux systems across the
Internet.  The offices are on two different network numbers, but once
I went to having BOTH offices configured to use a single WINS in one
of the offices, then browsing began to work across segments.

Best regards,
 Jim Morris                           mailto:Jim at Morris.net