Policies?

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Thu Dec 7 13:17:57 GMT 2000

On 7 Dec 2000, Shaun Lipscombe wrote:

> May not be a samba thing but how do I stop people on a windows 9x
> machine changing network settings?
>
> Shaun
>
> P.S.  Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am not too familiar
> with the windows world (thank god, because everything is backwards)

check for poledit.exe and change policy settings to not show network
neighbourhood and control panel.
Anyway as win9x does not support real users and anyone is able to do
anything on the machine, smart users will always find the way to change
this settings.
2 years ago I managed to secure a w95 installation to block most of the
common attempts to change settings, but it lasted many, many hours of work
and I think it does not pay.
If you have real needs for security reasons better switch to NT4/w2k (or a
more friendly *nix system :P )

regards,
Simo.

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451