Thoughts on problems with W2K joining ...

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Thu Dec 7 04:55:41 GMT 2000

Hi Folks,

With so many people having problems joining a W2K to samba 2.2 domain
recently, I feel a bit mean that that mine works. So I thought I'd try and
get it to stop working. Here is how I managed to get some of the error
messages that other people are experiencing...

(These various [messages] are so wordy I have listed them below.)

When there is an entry in /etc/passwd but not in smbpasswd for the machine :

If I attempt to make a W2K machine join the domain and (deliberatly) use a
username/passwd that won't work, get told so [message A], OK, try again
using 'root' and an appropriate passwd get [message B], OK, cancel, try
again, (reenter domain name) then I get the LONG DELAY, get the Welcome
message, reboot and get told [message C], no logon !

After this, I can logon as the local administrator, leave the domain,
reboot and join without difficulty as long as I only attempt to use 'root'
as the 'account with permission to join the domain' and don't try anything
else first.

So it seems that the problem sounds a bit like the 'existing set of
credentials' that can plague NT when you want to connect using a
(non-standard) username/passwd. Ring any bells ??

[Message A]
"The account used is a computer account. Use your Global user account or
local user account to access this server."

[Message B]
"The remote procedure call failed."

[Message C]
"The system cannot log you on to this domain because the systems computer
account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account is
incorrect."

[Message D]
"No mapping between account names and security ID was done."
David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au