Roaming profiles again

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Wed Dec 6 22:43:57 GMT 2000

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, David Bannon wrote:

> At 09:36 AM 06/12/2000 -0300, filipi wrote:
> >You may schedule in cron, to erase the I.E. cache inside de home of each
> >user every night.
> >
> >If the the I.E. cache directory is /home/$USER/cache/
> >you may do like this:
> >
> >find /home -name cache -exec rm -rfv {} \; > /var/log/cache_erase.log
> >

> I run a script that sleeps for a minute then removes the whole profile if
> the user was a student.
> Like this :
>
>       root postexec = /usr/local/sbin/setprofile %u -R
>
> This way they get the default profile next time they logon and nothing is
> left on server. Further, local profiles are turned off.

If you do not need to store profiles (as for students) the better way we
found was to set the profile directory in readonly after we have set a
good(tm) profile.

this saves time at logoff and also let we add anything we want to start
menu or desktop!

we also set no caching for profiles (they are automatically deleted at
user logoff) and renamed ntuser.dat to ntuser.man to make it mandatory.

ah, and we have only one stored profile for every unix group of students!
logon path = \\%N\profiles\%G

bye,
Simo.

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451