problem with printer

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Wed Dec 6 17:45:59 GMT 2000

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, christian dare wrote:

> hello,
> i have a linux box (debian 2.2) with samba 2.0.7-3 acting as PDC for
> some NT 4 workstations .
>
> It worked without any problem until today .
>
> I ve added a printer connected to one of my NT workstation and i want
> all my workstation to use this printer .
> But , i can t install the printer when i m connected on a workstation on
> the domain ,it tells me that i don t have the permissions to install it
> .
>
> I have given permission to "everyone" to print on the printer locally ,
> but i think ,as samba 2.0 don t works perfectly as a PDC , for the
> workstation , "everyone" is everybody existing on the workstation not on
> the domain .
> On the workstation , i don t have " everyone on the domain ", as when
> the PDC is a windows NT server .
>
> Is there a way to solve my problem ?
>
> ps:
> I have to print throught this workstation because i make acounting with
> a specific program so that student use a card to print their jobs .
>
> thanx

You may share your NT printer through the Samba Server.
You may set lpr/lprng/cups/whatever to print to the printer, and then
share it from the Samba Server to the clients. The problem is you should
use a fixed user to print to the printer so your accounting may not work
:(

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451