A newbie question

Peter Leif Rasmussen plr at tt.dk
Wed Dec 6 15:35:27 GMT 2000

I am terribly sorry to ask this supposedly FAQ, but I am enough in
distress that I don't know where else to ask. If this place turns out to
the wrong place to ask please tell me where to. I did go through a
number of emails in the archives, but couldn't pin point one that
discussed my exact problem.

Basically I want to print out from a Linux machine recently installed
with Mandrake 7.2 to an HP4000 printer that sits on an NT4 server. With
all the configuration tools in Mandrake 7.2 I hoped that the Samba
configuration would be a breeze. I do however not know anything about
neither NT4 and its way of printing, nor do I really understand what I
must look for and do in the Samba configuration.

Using "smbclient -L 89.1.1.23" I got the following, which I believe is
the right info (I filtered out everything else):

Sharename      Type      Comment
---------      ----      -------
prtb2s1        Printer   HP printer

Server               Comment
---------            -------
NTMAIN               Main NT  SERVER (PDC)

Workgroup            Master
---------            -------
THRANE               NTMAIN

So while using 'printerdrake' to configure a printer with Samba (and
CUPS) I say that:

Name of printer:  lp
SMB Server Host:  NTMAIN
SMB Server IP:    89.1.1.23
Share Name:       prtb2s1
User Name:        plr
Password:         ******       (I use my Windows network password)
Workgroup:        THRANE

I select HP Laserjet 4000 from the CUPS menu, which corresponds with the
actual printer, but when I then select to print out a test page I always
get:

lpr: unable to print file: Not Accepting Jobs

And in a new window the following is displayed:

   Test page(s) have been sent to the printer daemon.
   This may take a little time before printer start.
   Printing status:
   lp is not ready

   Does it work properly?

I have tried fiddling with all the values in many ways, but as I don't
really understand what is necessary and what is going on I have now
given up. I have asked our sysadmins, who are solely NT capable and they
have verified that the information regarding how the printers are
connected to the NT server is correct. They are otherwise not able to
help me, and I don't know what good questions to ask them.

Could someone here please enlighten me?

Thank you very much,

Peter