Unix-side login script under Samba???

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Wed Dec 6 11:04:57 GMT 2000

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> At 10:25 AM 12/6/00 +0100, Johan Östensson wrote:
> >Wouldn't a 'real' unix-side loginscript function be a cool thing for future
> >Samba versions? (I would do a patch myself if I could :/).
>
> Ummm, why? You can already do it with a 'root preexec' for the netlogon
> share, and since all you are doing is generating a netlogin.bat.

I think Johan want to execute something on the server (not simply generate
a batch) and it need it execute only at user logon (eg. for reporting
purposes) not at every access to a share!

> Also, it does not matter that netlogon is accessed twice (mapped twice) as
> the function performed by a 'root exec' should be pretty much idempotent.
>
> Just what do you think the 'unix-side login script function' would do?

I may think for example to enable a service only if a particular user is
logged on and disable it when he logs of!

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451