Why did my WINS server stop working?

J D starkruzr1701 at mail.ru
Wed Dec 6 02:37:47 GMT 2000

I changed from 2.0.7 to TNG and now my WINS server won't work anymore.  Yes, I
changed wins support to "= yes".  Some names on some machines resolve, and some
don't.  Mysterious.  Whoops, OK, this explains it: nmbd may be running, but
it's not doing anything.  I just nbtstated for my Samba box and Windows
couldn't see it.  There must be things going on in that samba shellscript that
I don't understand and that I'm not doing here.

I'm also uncertain as to how to get that "samba" shellscript in init.d that
I've found so useful to work with TNG.  Basically the way I've been starting
Samba was on the root command line to type "smbd -D" and then "nmbd -D".  For
some reason this causes two instances of nmbd.  Don't know why.

Ayudame?