Setting up Linux box as WINS client

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Tue Dec 5 23:07:08 GMT 2000

Charles Lacour wrote:

> Our DNS is run on NT because the network adminstrator believes that
> Windows' WINS software interfaces with it better than anything
> comparable on Unix. (I don't share this opinion, but the situation
> is not going to change in the foreseeable future.)

This is probably true.  If you want DHCP and DNS working right
together in a WINS-less world, you'll need to look into DDNS
and the newer versions of DHCP that will hook into it.
If you want more information on that, try:
http://isc.org/products/DHCP/dhcp-v3.html

As for registering a Linux machine in WINS, you'll need to run
Samba on it.  As David just pointed out, Samba should register
with the WINS server listed in "wins server = ".

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com