Setting up Linux box as WINS client

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Tue Dec 5 22:28:28 GMT 2000

At 04:00 PM 05/12/2000 -0600, Charles Lacour wrote:
>I'll give some background in a sec, but briefly:
>
>How do I set up a Linux box to register itself with a WINS server

wins server = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

>I set the "wins server" to the name (DNS name, not IP address)

I use the ip address. Just to save lookup ??

>having a new PDC pop up and start fighting for control is NOT likely to
make me popular.

As long as a 'new pdc' has a different domain name there will be no
problems. Don't use the same domain name as an existing domain or you will
have a dog fight that will, as you say, make you very unpopular !

Note that wins is not an instant protocol. You will need to leave it
running for a while before everything  is registered. 20 minutes ??

David
David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au