Urgent - null profile files

Jason Todd todd.4 at wright.edu
Tue Dec 5 19:42:36 GMT 2000

Hi, something has gone terribly wrong...

The profile of one of my users was trashed in a really wierd, unusual way
(as far as I can tell in my experience).  All of the right files are in
their correct places on the server (Samba 2.0.7 on RH7 linux 2.2.16) in
the user's ~/profile directory.  They are even the correct file sizes.
However, their data is ALL null characters (ASCII 0), which of course is
very bad.  This includes NTUSER.DAT.  None of the other user profile
directories are doing this. I'm now trying to find a good local copy of
the profile on my client machines (all are NT4, SP4-6).  All of the
machines have been used by other users, without affecting their profiles.
I know I can't get the files back unless I find a good "local" copy, but
does anyone have an explanation as to why this occurred?  I would really
like to prevent this from happening again (and I know, 2.0.7 isn't ready
for "production" use but I have been fairly happy with it until now).

Reply to todd.4 at wright.edu if you need more information.

Thanks,
Jason