Querying Printers

J.L.Gilmour at exeter.ac.uk J.L.Gilmour at exeter.ac.uk
Tue Dec 5 08:59:53 GMT 2000

> I made a filter with a file database for user quotas, but this involved
> the use of postscript only printfiles (and possibly generated by Adobe
> Postscript drivers because others tend to forget the Pages count field in
> the postscript file, anyway when this miss a 'page' command is issued to
> retrieve the number of pages).

We've tried various techniques, but the only reliable fix is to
query the postscript printer's page counter.

Our main problem was powerpoint and other MS products printing 4-up,
and our ever-creative students hand editing the postscript file to bypass
or confuse the page counting.

Jayne.
--
      Jayne Gilmour, BSc. MSc.  Unix & Network Administrator

 Internet: "a network of computers which lots of people are inter"