Samba server joining an NT4 domain. (or trying)

Testa, Stefan STEFAN.TESTA at saic.com
Sat Dec 2 07:40:47 GMT 2000

Hello,

     I am trying to add my samba server to my domain at work. I have added
the hostname of the machine to the list in the pdc. When I run the smbpasswd
command, this is the error I get. I have made sure that the smbd is stopped
prior to running this. My question is, "Where do I look to make sure the
NetBios name it is sending to the PDC is the one I added?" The linux
hostname & the 'NetBios =' line in the smb.conf file are the same name. Is
there somewhere else it is looking for me to enter a hostname? This linux
server is also running apache with an actual domain name pointed to it. So
in the httpd.conf file there is a real domain name. Could this be the
problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Stefan Testa
SAIC

[root at MACHINENAME username]# smbpasswd -j 'domain-name' -r 'ip of PDC'
cli_net_req_chal: Error NT_STATUS_INVALID_COMPUTER_NAME
cli_nt_setup_creds: request challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine 'ip of
PDC'. Error was : NT_STATUS_INVALID_COMPUTER_NAME.
2000/12/01 23:29:13 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain 'domain-name'.
Unable to join domain 'domain-name'.