mv from NT to samba domains

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Fri Dec 1 04:06:25 GMT 2000

Kenneth Noel wrote:

> I have to believe there is a simpler way to do it
> using Samba. If I could run a script against the users
> that are on my domains now, to get their sids.  Would it
> be possible to create another script to copy their sid
> to the smbpasswd file?  The problem  I think is with
> the RID.

Well the current problem is that the RID is generated
from the UNIX uid.  We are working on a migration stategy
which will probably involve

  o make the Samba server a BDC to grab a copy of
    the domain SAM
  o remove the NT PDC
  o promote the Samba BDC to a PDC

Lots of work to be done.

> I have seen one person that has made it possible not
> to use the passwd file and putting part of the sid
> in the smbpasswd file, that lookds close to what I need.
> I think some how I have to have three rids running on
> my samba server using the old domains sids.??

You're going to have a problem here either way you go.
a domain has 1 domain sid.  Which means you are going
to have to recreate new user accounts for the collapsed
domain.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org