Answer me these questions three ...

geoffrey at ticom.com geoffrey at ticom.com
Thu Aug 31 22:23:27 GMT 2000

I am having a bit of trouble here. I am running Samba 2.0.6 on a Linux
box. It was acting as PDC for my network just fine, but I needed to change
the address space, and now it doesn't play well others anymore. I
neglected to remove the NT workstations from the domain before changing
the ip address of them, or of the server. Now, my NT boxes cannot find the
PDC to rejoin the domain. The machine is live on the network - icmp
replies work fine. My other Linux box ran smbpasswd -j DOMname -r PDCname,
and it appears to have worked, and the daemons appear to be functioning,
but the Linux client gets rejected when asking for a share listing. It
recieves a username/password challenge, I respond correctly, and I get an
error saying that a bad username/password pair had been supplied to the
server. Also, why would the server stop responding as a PDC when all I did
was change the routing info; nothing was done to /etc/smb.conf, and it
worked prior to this. Second question, is it possible to force a password
change after a certain time period as it is with the shadow password
suite? I couldn't find references to that in the O'Reilly book. Lastly,
why are users unable to create shared resources on their own boxes after
authenticating to the Samba PDC? Thank you for your indulgence.

geoffrey
--
Santa Claus,

Key fingerprint ===> E8E2 1EC4 6640 1F9A 5A09  0DB6 FC5E BDAA D9CB 6F04
Public key available upon request.