the logon path blues...

James B Curry jbcurry at hline.localhealth.net
Thu Aug 31 18:00:49 GMT 2000

I am severely depressed :<

Had just gotten to know Samba and Linux over the past couple of weeks,
and, until now, everything had been going smooth.  But I'm now in the
last stages of converting my network, and they suddenly won't behave.

I have defined my logon path, where I understand the profiles are
supposed to save out to.  However, all my profiles are still saving out
to the user's home directory.  What's the deal?  Can't you have a home
directory independent of the logon path?

Also, I've tested Machine and User policies in the config.pol and they
work fine, but Group policies do not.  (See my 8/30 posting for my
original rantings.)  My groups in /etc/group match the names of my group
policies in config.pol, but the settings won't take for members of those
groups.  (I do not have individual user policies for the members of the
group policies I've created, and I do not have a default user policy, so
there should be no policy conflicts.)

I have attached my smb.conf file if anyone cares to take a look and
offer advice.

On the client side, the Linux box is indicated as a WINS server.  Logon
to NT Domain is enabled.  Remote update is enabled and pointing properly
to the config.pol file.  User profiles are enabled.  I'm using both
Win95 and Win98 clients, and all dll's are fairly up to date.  (Win95b
w/Y2k patches, Win98 v.2)

Anybody know a happy tune?