user management

Marc Britten mbritten at cybernet-usa.com
Wed Aug 30 18:33:05 GMT 2000

hi all,

first off thanks to Matthew Geddes for all the help you've provided me.

i've gotten samba-tng(2.6) up w/ no errors, and i'm trying to get used
to the new samedit and rpcclient utiliities. and i'm having troubles w/
user management,

1.) is it possible to add a user of one domain domain1\mbritten to a
group on my new samba domain, using a map file or something?

2.) i can 'createuser username'fine( i get in the smbpasswd file)

yugami:500:NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:NO
PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[NDU        ]:LCT-FFFFFFFF:

however i can't figure out how to change the password, i assume that
ntpass is supposed to do it since smbpasswd no longer exists but when i
try 'ntpass username'

[root at .]$ ntpass yugami
ntpass yugami
SAM NT Password Change
Old Password:
User: yugami Domain: HYPERMEDIA
New Password:
retype:
rpc_check_hdr: failed. 1 1 0
NT Password change FAILED

i hit enter for Old Password and type the new password for the other 2
prompts

if i try createuser w/ the -p everything seems to work, but i'm pretty
sure i will have to change a password in the future ;)

thanks