Auth'ing unix users off samba 2.0.7 PDC

Buchan Milne bgmilne at ing.sun.ac.za
Wed Aug 30 08:15:52 GMT 2000

Hi,

I have a samba 2.0.7 PDC in a network of mainly NT machines. I have 2
other samba boxes, one doing mainly printing, the other doing mainly
fileserving. Since I now have all the users on our network as domain
members, I can remove the guest-accesible shares on the other samba
boxes, but that would require that I sync the passwd files and join the
machines to the domain.

To add complication, other users now want to use linux (for sofware
development), which means another few machines to have sync'ed. I would
also like to keep the linux users with their home's on the samba PDC.

As I see it, there are 2 options:
-use NIS and export the /home via NFS
-use pam_smb or pam_ntdom for auth'ing. Is there anyway to then let the
users /home dir as seen from the client reside on the samba PDC?

I have tried compiling both pam_ntdom and pam_smb on a Mandrake 7.1 box,
getting errors. Attached are the errors from trying to compile pam_ntdom
(v.0.24, latest from Luke's site).

Thanks
Buchan
--
Cellphone                                           +27824722231
email                               mailto:bgmilne at ing.sun.ac.za
Centre for Automotive Engineering       http://www.sun.ac.za/cae
South Africas first satellite:        http://sunsat.ee.sun.ac.za
Control Models                          http://www.control.co.za