Implementing Network Policies-- Help!

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Tue Aug 29 23:32:12 GMT 2000

"Tyrone D. Faciane Jr." wrote:

> Using Samba 2.0.7 with Win95 clients.  In creating a config.pol
> file, and saving it on my samba server all setting for "Default
> Machine" take effect after a restart.  No setting for "Default
> User" take effect-- ever.
>
> Can I use a policies file to restrict access to desktop icons,
> network control panel, My Computer.... for certain users (or all)
> and allow access for others if possible?
>
> Perhaps <username>.pol?  Will this do it?

It mentions this in the various Microsoft documentation on System
policies. It doesn't matter if you run a Samba Domain controller or a
Windows one (in fact you could probably even do it without a DC, using
manual download).

You will need to set up one policy file for each of Windows 9x and
Windows NT/2000. Each policy file (using the default template,
admin.adm) can have as many users or groups (if you use win9x, make sure
you update grouppol.dll) as you like.

The problem you are having is not a Samba problem. Make sure you check
your Windows setup. Read the manual. Ask an NT administrator.

Hope it helps,
Matt

--

Matthew Geddes
Network Manager

...And by the way, Lars Kneschke's Samba TNG FAQ is at
http://www.kneschke.de/projekte/samba_tng/faq/index.php3