password synchronization - again!

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Tue Aug 29 23:56:40 GMT 2000

At 10:42 AM 29/08/2000 +0000, Jenny Fox wrote:
>Hello.
>
>...heterogeneous network of unix, macintosh, and NT machines.  I am using a
>linux/samba server for home directories, which is also running
>netatalk.  The problem is with password synchronization -
> ..... if someone changes their password from a unix
>box or a macintosh, their NT password is not changed.

Have you thought about using pam_smb or pam_ntdom and doing away with
passwords in /etc/ altogether. Samba then talks only to ~/smbpasswd,
netatalk is pam aware, authentication looks like this :
netatalk->pam->pam_smb->[smb server, ie samba or NT].

have a look at http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au/samba/extras.html

 I have a wide

David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au