password synchronization - again!

Jenny Fox foxje at spole.gov
Tue Aug 29 10:42:43 GMT 2000

Hello.

I am sure someone else has been in this situation - I'm running a very
heterogeneous network of unix, macintosh, and NT machines.  I am using a
linux/samba server for home directories, which is also running
netatalk.  The problem is with password synchronization - I currently
have security=domain set which enables the NT users access without a
problem.  Unfortunately, if someone changes their password from a unix
box or a macintosh, their NT password is not changed.  I have a wide
spectrum of users - from those who have never encountered a computer
before to computer professionals, and I would like to make this as easy
as possible for everyone.  What I would really like is that if someone
changed their password from any machine, it has been changed for all
platforms, which means that somehow I have to synchronize the unix
password file and the NT SAM database.

I read in the documentation that samba cannot act as a BDC.  Would
making the linux server the PDC solve this problem?  I'm running a
pretty extensive NT network with SMS, IIS, etc... so I wonder what kinds
of problems I would have if my samba server were the PDC.

Does anyone else have any experience with this?  I am running 2.0.7 on
RH 6.2.  Thank you for any suggestions.

--jenny

Jennifer Fox
Network Administrator
Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica