security = domain

Charles Crawford ccrawford at atsengineers.com
Tue Aug 29 17:22:12 GMT 2000

well, now that i've got this working, i'd like to know why this is so...

here's how i've got the share set up...

first, I had the share set up with 'write list = @admin' with no 'valid
users = @admin'...
this gave everyone READ/WRITE/EXECUTE permission for the directory. Then, I
added the 'valid users = @admin' and then everyone except members of the
group 'admin' were denied access to the share (all permissions, could not
even view the share).

Finally, I added the parameter 'read list = @users', and voila, everyone can
read the share, but not write to it. The only people that can now write to
the share are members of the group 'admin'.

So, why is this like this? If 'write list = @admin' is set, why would it
allow anyone to write to the share unless 'read list = @users' is also set?

Thanks,

CC