Samba-TNG and stable-samba alliance

Tim Deegan Tim.Deegan at domainregistry.ie
Tue Aug 29 10:41:57 GMT 2000

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 11:59:53AM +0300, Denis J. Cirulis wrote:
> Hello !
>
> Is it possible to run two samba daemons (may be on the same or
> different machines) to provide user auth (Samba-TNG) and stable
> 2.0.7 samba to store all the files. I'm wondering about this
> combination because i want to use TNG PDC in production environment,
> but i'm afraid of alpha code. Maybe you can give me any suggestions
> how to setup such a thing or maybe there are other solutions ?

Yes, it certainly is.  Lars Kneschke's TNG FAQ is very helpful:
http://www.kneschke.de/projekte/samba_tng/faq/index.php3

If you're putting them on the same machine, make sure to install them
in different trees, give them different log and lockfile directories,
etc.  You'll also need to rename the daemons to stop them mistaking
the other server for themselves; I renamed smbd and nmbd of the 2.0.7
server to smbd-2 and nmbd-2.

Make sure the two servers are on different IP addresses or they'll
clash with each other trying to open sockets.  In the smb.conf files,
use something like:

interfaces = eth0:8    # or whatever
bind interfaces only = yes

Give the two servers different netbios names too :)

I find it runs like a dream, providing authentication, file and print
services to a small office (as one of the duties of a much meatier
server).  Of course, the TNG half is still alpha, so you should be
careful.

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan (TJD7-RIPE)                   ...call the men of science, and
Hostmaster, Sysadmin, Geek                 let them hear this song. Tell