will it work if...

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tue Aug 29 08:17:08 GMT 2000

Dimitri WASKOVIT wrote:

> Hello out there,
>
> I am wondering if this combination can work:
>
> Samba 2.0.7 as a PDC --> only used for authentication
> Windows 2000 Server SP1  as  a BDC --> for storage of Home directory, app
> share, etc.
> Win NT 4 workstation Sp6 as workstations
>
> thanks for your ideas..
>
> Dimitri

No, it will not work.

1. PDC support in samba 2.0.x is limited (no trust relationtip, BDC
support, ecc..) and can not be PDC for win2000 clients.

2. You may try Samba TNG (alpha code).
It will support win2k clients, PDC, BDC, trust relationships, ecc....

3. If you do not have any apps specifically requesting w2k as
file-server, I think you may have a satisfactory setup using NT4 as PDC
and samba 2.0.7 as file server (pretty fast).

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451