security = domain

Nick Austin nick at digitalpipe.net
Mon Aug 28 18:25:04 GMT 2000

This is information taken from the FAQ at
http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/ntdom_faq/page6.html

"... to create accounts for all your NT users in /etc/passwd on the unix box.
There are some scripts available to help in the migration. These perl scripts
are available for download from the
/pub/samba/contributed diretory in one of the Samba ftp mirrors.  The tarball
is named domain_member_scripts.tar.gz. "

"Accounts created on the unix box are only used to get a valid uid.  They are
not used for validation.  You can therefore set the password field to whatever
lock string for your system is. Under most
( if not all ) versions of unix this is the '*' character.  Here is an example
/etc/passwd entry.

		jdoe:*:1124:100:NT Dummy account:/dev/null:/bin/False

Once you get to here, you should now be able to mount shares from the samba
server using valid domain accounts."

The conversion scripts will help you with the groups as well.

Hope this helps!

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:06:08 -0400, Charles Crawford said:

> Hi,
>
>  I have Samba set for security = domain, with the domain controller being an
>  NT server. I need to know
>  how the groups are handled through Samba. Does the group concept even apply
>  when using security = domain?
>
>  How do I restrict which users have access to the resources?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  CC

-----
Nick Austin		 Systems Administrator