Join NT/win2000 into a Samba Domain

Mike Westkamper mjwestkamper at weiinc.com
Mon Aug 28 17:37:29 GMT 2000

A small voice from the sidelines...

You are on the verge of providing a real alternative. Not just vaporware,
but a real means to have a high-performance system that will solve the
problem of single-sourceing for a lot of us in this industry. It is
unfortunate that there are so few working on this project. Until we can
generate casts of thousands the solution is to do the best we can with
what we have. The issue of windows 9x is real. Somehow, to be widely
accepted, we must provide for it. Rather than bog the effort down perhaps
there is a way to keep the TNG going is to make provisions for a bit of
middleware. Provide the hooks such that someone can provide a layer
between SAMBA, which will support NT et al, handle the 9x subset.

This may be impractical, however with some thinking along this line maybe
we can find another to make the 9x stuff work while not impeding the
TNG/PDC/Etc that is also needed.

I will poke some others with a sharp stick and see if I can get some help.

Mike