pop-up messages

Dragos sldragos at pcnet.ro
Sun Aug 27 21:31:19 GMT 2000

Hi

I have a Linux machine (RH 6.2) with samba 2.0.6  installed and an NT
domain (PDC is a Win NT Server 4.0 SP 6).
I haven't joined the NT domain yet (the network manager didn't
make the server account that I need ...). I would appreciate any help
for the problems written below:

1: I cannot receive pop-up-like messages sent from
Windoze machines that are in the domain (from Linux machine I can send
'em messages ok with smbclient -M .....).
I placed an entry like this in my smb.conf

[global]
message command = /bin/bash -c 'xedit %s; rm %s' &

but it doesn't seem to work (nothing happens when a Windoze machine
sends a message to the Linux machine even if after sending the message
win pop-up issues "The message was sent successfully"). If the message
reaches my
Linux machine where is it stored ??? I don't think that joining the
domain has smth. to do with this problem.

2: why when sending a message to a windoze machine win pop-up
reports that the message was sent by root or any other user a log in
with instead of the NetBios name I specified in smb.conf ?? Obviously if
they try to reply to "root" or whatever except for the NetBios name in
smb.conf they receive a message saying that root cannot be found

3: I cannot browse or make use of the services shared by the
windoze machines. Is this 'cause I didn't join the domain ? (they can do
whatever I allowed 'em to do with my shared service)

below there is my smb.conf file

#========= Global Settings ========

       [global]
       netbios name = Dragos
       workgroup = domain1
       server string = Samba Server %v
       printcap name = /etc/printcap
       load printers = yes
       printing = bsd
       log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log
       log level = 2
       debug timestamp = yes
       max log size = 50
       security = server
       # NT's NetBios name is Prioris
       password server = Prioris
       null passwords = yes
       password level = 8
       username level = 8
       encrypt passwords = yes
       mb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
       local master = yes
       os level = 31
       dns proxy = no
       message command = /bin/bash -c 'xedit %s; rm %s' &
       #========= Share Definitions ======
       [Retea]
       path = /Ret/Retea/
       hide dot files = yes
       comment = Doar pt. testare
       guest ok = yes
       writeable = yes
#      the domain is called domain1
       write list = @domain1
       follow symlinks = yes
       map archive = yes
       map system = yes
       map hidden = yes
       delete readonly = yes
       create mask = 770
       directory mask = 770
       read only = no
       revalidate = no

What is wrong or missing in my smb.conf ???

Thanks

Dadi

Thanks
Dadi