pop-up messages

Dragos sldragos at pcnet.ro
Fri Aug 25 17:32:57 GMT 2000

Hi

I have a Linux machine (RH 6.2) with samba 2.0.6 installed and a NT domain (PDC is a Win NT Server 4.0 SP 6).I haven't joined the NT domain (called domain1) yet (the network administrator didn't make the server account that I need ...)

Problem1: I cannot receive pop-up-like messages sent from Windoze machines that are in the domain (from Linux machine I can send 'em messages ok with smbclient -M .....). I placed an entry like this in my smb.conf

[global]
message command = /bin/bash -c 'xedit %s; rm %s' &
but it doesn't seem to work (nothing happens when a Windoze machine sends a message to the Linux machine even if after sending the message win pop-up issues "The message was sent successfully"). If it reaches my Linux machine where is it stored ??? I don't think that joining the domain has smth. to do with this problem.

Problem2: why when sending a message to a windoze machine win pop-up reports that the message was sent by root or any other user I log in with instead of the NetBios name that I specified in smb.conf ?? Obviously if they try to reply to "root" or whatever except for the NetBios name in smb.conf they receive a message saying that root cannot be found .........

Problem3: I cannot browse or make use of any of the services shared by the windoze machines. Is this 'cause I didn't join the domain ? (they can do whatever I allowed 'em to do with my shared service)

What is wrong or missing in my smb.conf ???

below there is my smb.conf file

#======================= Global Settings =====================================

  [global]
  netbios name = Dragos
  workgroup = domain1
  server string = Samba Server %v

  printcap name = /etc/printcap
  load printers = yes
  printing = bsd

  log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log
  log level = 2
  debug timestamp = yes
  max log size = 50
  security = server
  # NT's NetBios name is Prioris
  password server = Prioris
  null passwords = yes
  password level = 8
  username level = 8
  encrypt passwords = yes
  mb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd

  local master = yes
  os level = 31
  dns proxy = no

  message command = /bin/bash -c 'xedit %s; rm %s' &

  #============================ Share Definitions ==============================
  [Retea]
  path = /Ret/Retea/
  hide dot files = yes