smbpasswd doubt

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Thu Aug 24 05:28:04 GMT 2000

[James Curry]
> But I'm 99% certain that the smbpasswd file is still necessary on
> your Samba server if you are using encrypted passwords (which most
> people do.)

Nope, it's the other 1%. (: For `security=server' and `security=domain'
you need Unix accounts but you do *not* need a smbpasswd file.  I've
done without one for years....

> I don't know that these replace smbpasswd.  I don't think I'd
> classify the smbpasswd file as a mapping mechanism to unix accounts.

Right, it's not.  `username map' is, as you said.  The smbpasswd file
is just a way of keeping extra information about an account that isn't
in the system password file -- like the NT-encrypted password and the
user attributes.

Peter