Can't join domain with current CVS (SAMBA_TNG)

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Wed Aug 23 23:25:42 GMT 2000

Steve Langasek wrote:

> I've been able to narrow the scope of this problem and better identify the
> symptoms.  Hopefully this will suggest a solution to someone reading. :)
> These problems occur both with the TNG alpha-2.6 tarball, and with the latest
> CVS (give or take a day).
>
> An NT workstation will join the domain run by the TNG PDC.  This works pretty
> well, and after joining the workstation to the domain, I'm able to run
> smbclient against the NT workstation and authenticate using a username and
> password from the domain.  However, I can't log onto the workstation locally
> using any credentials from the domain; only local NT users can log in.

I spent a couple of months (prealpha 0.8 -> 2.5 ;-)) with a problem
displaying the same symptoms. Make sure that you're Administrator is
root and check Lars' FAQ for all the .map file stuff. I have had
alpha-2.6 running fine on Linux and FreeBSD.

> Possibly unrelated is the fact that a Unix server running TNG cannot join
> the domain.  Using samedit fails, as mentioned in my previous message.  If I
> use smbpasswd -j <domain>, everything appears to work -- smbpasswd file is
> updated correctly, files are created on the member server -- but running
> smbclient against the member server will fail.  AFAICT, this problem lies
> somewhere on the member server side: not only is an NT member server able to
> authenticate against the domain, if I downgrade the Unix member server to
> Samba 2.0.7, it's also able to use domain authentication.

Don't use smbpasswd. ;-)

I had the same problem. It went away with the above problem. What are
the error messages you're getting?

Thx,
Matt
--