smbpasswd doubt

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Wed Aug 23 21:58:59 GMT 2000

When using security=domain, you (Samba) are a member of an NT domain.
The smbpasswd entries should then be superfluous, as all authentication
is passed up to the DCs.  You _will_ however, need a local Unix account
in order to provide UIDs for these users.

You will need "security=domain", "password server=XXX",
and "workgroup=YYY".  You will also need to join the domain
successfully.  I have used "smbpasswd -j YYY" in the past,
although TNG may require a different approach.  Note that
the machine account must exist _prior_ to attempting to join
the domain, so first create a machine account on your PDC.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com