Samba Novice - Problems with NT

James B Curry jbcurry at hline.localhealth.net
Wed Aug 23 17:30:11 GMT 2000

Michael Ellery wrote:

> I'm not much of an expert with NT or Samba
Show me an expert, and I'll show you a server that is down constantly
for "upgrades", "system maintenance", "upgrade fix", etc...
(It's the person that knows how little they know that gets the server
running and leaves it alone.)

> and I'm experiencing a very strange problem with my NT box.
Show me an NT box, and I'll show you a server that is down constantly
for no apparent reason.  :)

> I have samba set-up and running fine on my Sun box.  I've been
> connecting to it for several weeks without incident.  The only minor
> trick to the set-up was adding the EnablePlainTextPassord (DWORD)
> value to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters on the
> NT box.  In any event, I have been successfully connecting to my
> shares for a few weeks.
>
> Now, however, following the latest reboot of my NT machine, I can't
> connect.  I repeatedly get the message "username or password
> incorrect".
Did you try resetting the password for that user (on both NT and
Solaris)?  In other words, does your NT login/password match your
Solaris login/password?  Since you are not using encrypted passwords
(which I assume you must have a reason not to), Samba does not require a
seperate password file (smbpasswd) and will instead use the /etc/passwd
file.
That at least means you only have to check the NT and Solaris accounts
to make sure that user has a valid account on both systems and that the
passwords match.
Note that you can't use Samba password synchronization without using
encrypted passwords.  And the synchronization only works one way - from
Windows to Samba to Solaris.  (Unless you set up PAM, which is a whole
new topic.)

> Since I knew nothing had changed,
I wouldn't be too sure. I think a password entry got changed or
corrupted.

> I tried creating a new account on my NT box and I am able to connect
> fine from this same box with the new user account.  So, that seems
> to indicate to me that something has gotten botched in my NT user
> account.  Has anyone else experienced such a thing and have any idea
> what I could check to try to remedy this problem?  BTW, I'm running
> NT Server 4.0, svcpack 5 and Samba 2.0.6 on Solaris 7.
>
> This seems to be an NT problem, but it's strange that it only impacts
> my ability to connect to my Samba shares (all other shares are fine).
I could be misinterpreting your e-mail, but I think you've got a simple
password synchronization issue.  I think you're expecting behavior
different from what your Samba install is set up to do.  I would suggest
getting hold of a copy of "SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours" or
O'Reilly's "Using Samba" for clear descriptions of how to properly
configure Samba security and to synchronize passwords.