Can't join domain with current CVS (SAMBA_TNG)

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Wed Aug 23 13:42:36 GMT 2000

Hi Peter,

> > An NT workstation will join the domain run by the TNG PDC.  This
> > works pretty well, and after joining the workstation to the domain,
> > I'm able to run smbclient against the NT workstation and authenticate
> > using a username and password from the domain.  However, I can't log
> > onto the workstation locally using any credentials from the domain;
> > only local NT users can log in.

> This sounds stupid, but have you populated your smbpasswd file with all
> the users and initial passwords you will need on the clients?  Remember
> that you are in "encryption=yes" mode so you can't rely on /etc/passwd.

Yes, the smbpasswd file is fully populated.  I'm able to connect to the NT
member server using my domain username/password with smbclient, and I can also
do domain authentication with FrontPage against IIS running on the NT machine;
the only thing that I can't use domain authentication for is logging into the
NT server locally.

> > Possibly unrelated is the fact that a Unix server running TNG cannot join
> > the domain.

> No suggestions here, sounds like a plain bug.

That was my conclusion, as well.  I'm going to see if I can find out exactly
when this problem showed up in CVS...

Thanks,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer