Appliance mode

Tim Potter tpot at linuxcare.com.au
Tue Aug 22 23:00:11 GMT 2000

Ross Davis writes:

> Will someone clarify these for me please?
>
> 1) This doesn't work with LDAP at the moment from what I can see...are
> there any plans for this?

Yes.

> 2) Can this be set up so the winbind uid/gid ranges and associated
> translations are the same on every machine so a user can can log on at any
> machine and have the same perms on mounted drives/files?

Not yet.  The backend needs to be rewritten slightly so LDAP or
some shared system can be used rather than storing the mappings
in a local file.

> 3) Can users change shells, gecos, passwords as normal?

Password changing does work using pam_winbind.so but it's pretty
alpha at the moment as it doesn't respect options in the pam
configuration file like use_first_pass.  Shells are currently
hardcoded using the 'template shell' parameter.  The gecos field
is taken from the Full Name parameter in the User Manager.

Regards,

Tim.