help! all users able to map other's home drive

Lars Kneschke lars at kneschke.de
Tue Aug 22 21:11:18 GMT 2000

"Melissa M. Thrush" wrote:

> All,
>
> I recently upgraded to Samba 2.0.7 and have it running as a PDC on a Sun
> Solaris 2.6 box.
>
> Today I noticed that if the file permissions on a user's unix home
> directory isn't 700 (rwx------) then others can "map" their account from
> the command prompt.  So if I'm logged into my WinNT client as userA my
> home drive automatically maps.  If I open up a command prompt window and
> type:  net use X: \\sambaserver\userB
> userB's account maps to X!
>
> What could be causing this?  If I go to Network Neighborhood on userA's
> client and go to the sambaserver I don't see userB's folder browsing until
> after I've successfully mapped it from the command prompt.
>
> Here are my Home and User entries in my smb.conf
>
> [homes]
>    comment = Home Directories
>    browseable = no
>    read only = no
>    create mode = 0755
>    guest ok = no
>
> [Users]
>    ; USERS directory test
>    ;
>    comment = USERS tree
>    path = /home
>    available = yes
>    browseable = no
>    writable = yes
>    public = no
>
> Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
I would say nothing. For me, this is the expected behaviour. Please have
a look at the man page for smb.conf. There is a section about the
[homes] section. This share gets created on the fly, if someone requests
it(you did it :-)). And then only the unix file permissions we be
between you and the files! :-)

Cu