help! all users able to map other's home drive

Melissa M. Thrush mmt4q at ee.virginia.edu
Tue Aug 22 20:01:50 GMT 2000

All,

I recently upgraded to Samba 2.0.7 and have it running as a PDC on a Sun
Solaris 2.6 box.

Today I noticed that if the file permissions on a user's unix home
directory isn't 700 (rwx------) then others can "map" their account from
the command prompt.  So if I'm logged into my WinNT client as userA my
home drive automatically maps.  If I open up a command prompt window and
type:  net use X: \\sambaserver\userB
userB's account maps to X!

What could be causing this?  If I go to Network Neighborhood on userA's
client and go to the sambaserver I don't see userB's folder browsing until
after I've successfully mapped it from the command prompt.

Here are my Home and User entries in my smb.conf

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   read only = no
   create mode = 0755
   guest ok = no

[Users]
   ; USERS directory test
   ;
   comment = USERS tree
   path = /home
   available = yes
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   public = no

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Melissa
--
Melissa Thrush                              Dept. of Electrical Engineering
mthrush at virginia.edu                        University of Virginia