Can't join domain with current CVS (SAMBA_TNG)

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Tue Aug 22 14:19:47 GMT 2000

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, I wrote:

> I've been banging my head against this problem for several days now, and
> although I've gotten file and printing services working rather well against
> the SAMBA_TNG PDC, I haven't been able to join any workstations, Samba or NT,
> to the domain.  Of course, the PDC functionality was the whole reason for
> switching to TNG, so this kinda puts a damper on things. :)  I've tried using
> samedit to join a domain:

I've been able to narrow the scope of this problem and better identify the
symptoms.  Hopefully this will suggest a solution to someone reading. :)
These problems occur both with the TNG alpha-2.6 tarball, and with the latest
CVS (give or take a day).

An NT workstation will join the domain run by the TNG PDC.  This works pretty
well, and after joining the workstation to the domain, I'm able to run
smbclient against the NT workstation and authenticate using a username and
password from the domain.  However, I can't log onto the workstation locally
using any credentials from the domain; only local NT users can log in.

Possibly unrelated is the fact that a Unix server running TNG cannot join
the domain.  Using samedit fails, as mentioned in my previous message.  If I
use smbpasswd -j <domain>, everything appears to work -- smbpasswd file is
updated correctly, files are created on the member server -- but running
smbclient against the member server will fail.  AFAICT, this problem lies
somewhere on the member server side: not only is an NT member server able to
authenticate against the domain, if I downgrade the Unix member server to
Samba 2.0.7, it's also able to use domain authentication.

Has anyone else seen these problems, or am I committing a RTFM-grade error?

TIA,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer