TNG Printing

Dan B. Mann dmann at wkkf.org
Tue Aug 22 13:55:38 GMT 2000

All,

  I am looking for a solution to my printing dilemma.  I am working on a
network that has about 55 printers, mostly HP lasers with a lesser number of
TEK color's.  All printers are connected to their own JetDirect box, and
they are spooled through one ProLiant 1600 NT Server box.  We are going to
build a new print server to service our network of about 250 Win2K Pro boxes
in a month or two, and I was wondering if SAMBA is up to the task of doing
something like this.  We cannot lose functionality from our current setup.
All workstations now get print drivers off of the server, and it has to stay
that way.

One of the biggest reason's we would want to switch is that every time we
add a new printer to the server, it needs to be rebooted or it may suffer a
doctor watson.  This is a real pain in the A** if you know what I mean.

Oh, and I also forgot to mention that we have an SNA server to handle
printing from our AS400, but I believe this box just forwards the print
requests to the print server :)

Any ideas?

Thanks a million,

Dan Mann