comments on following (I called it msn_tunnel.c)?

Andy Polyakov appro at fy.chalmers.se
Tue Aug 22 08:52:26 GMT 2000

>     Andy> /*
>     Andy>  * I've got tired from trying to get browsing in MSN (Microsoft
>     Andy>  * Neigborhood) work through a router. I even started giving up the
>     Andy>  * belief that it's actually possible... I mean to get one domain
>
> WINS.  Once every machine talks to a WINS server, there is no problem.

Do *you* have it working? What kinds are nodes? Hybrid? P-t-P? In
general WINS is address resolution protocol and gets engaged (sort of)
later. I.e. you first get a browse list which is nothing but a list of
names, and only then you start resolving those names. In order to have
browsing work through router, you have to syncronize browse lists
(remote browse sync), but it's vendor specific (I mean SAMBA has its
own, NT has its own, no idea if W9x does anything about it). We also
have proxy-arped environment (meaning that all reside in same sub-net,
but have routers between segments) and they wanted a workgroup for
themselves (no SAMBA, no NT DC) which spans subnets... Ouch!

Andy.