Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

Mail Delivery System Mailer-Daemon at pop.de
Mon Aug 21 18:09:45 GMT 2000

A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients. The
following address(es) failed:

  tc-wedel.de!monscheu at s023250.tk.tc-wedel.de:
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:
    <tc-wedel.de!monscheu at s023250.tk.tc-wedel.de>:
    host 195.222.202.30 [195.222.202.30]:
    550 relaying to <tc-wedel.de!monscheu at s023250.tk.tc-wedel.de> prohibited by administrator

Sender: samba-ntdom at samba.org
From:   Steve Langasek <vorlon at netexpress.net>
To:     Multiple recipients of list SAMBA-NTDOM <samba-ntdom at samba.org>
Subject: Can't join domain with current CVS (SAMBA_TNG)
Date:   Tue, 22 Aug 2000 04:12:00 +1000

All,

I've been banging my head against this problem for several days now, and
although I've gotten file and printing services working rather well against
the SAMBA_TNG PDC, I haven't been able to join any workstations, Samba or NT,
to the domain.  Of course, the PDC functionality was the whole reason for
switching to TNG, so this kinda puts a damper on things. :)  I've tried using
samedit to join a domain:

# samedit -S . -U root -N
added interface ip=xx.xx.xx.xx bcast=xx.xx.xx.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
[root at .]$ use \\\\<PDC> -U root
use \\\\<PDC> -U root
Enter Password:
Server: \\<PDC>:        User:   root    Domain:
Connection:     session setup ok
Domain=[DOMAIN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba TNG-alpha]
OK
[root at .]$ createuser sheridan$ -j DOMAIN
createuser sheridan$ -j DOMAIN
SAM Create Domain User
Domain: DOMAIN Name: sheridan$ ACB: [W          ]
Create Domain User: FAILED
[root at .]$

This gives me a new user in the private/smbpasswd file, with no password set.

sheridan$:90210:NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[NDW        ]:LCT-FFFFFFFF:

In /var/log/samba/log.samr, I then see the following lines (-d 0):

WARNING: prs_create initialised a buffer in marshalling-mode
WARNING: prs_create initialised a buffer in marshalling-mode
WARNING: prs_create initialised a buffer in marshalling-mode
WARNING: prs_create initialised a buffer in marshalling-mode
WARNING: prs_create initialised a buffer in marshalling-mode
WARNING: prs_create initialised a buffer in marshalling-mode
WARNING: prs_create initialised a buffer in marshalling-mode
WARNING: prs_create initialised a buffer in marshalling-mode
TODO: verify that the rid exists
WARNING: prs_create initialised a buffer in marshalling-mode
decode_pw_buffer: incorrect password length (914550538).
WARNING: prs_create initialised a buffer in marshalling-mode
WARNING: prs_create initialised a buffer in marshalling-mode
WARNING: prs_create initialised a buffer in marshalling-mode
WARNING: prs_create initialised a buffer in marshalling-mode

The interesting line here seems to be the decode_pw_buffer error, but I don't
know what it means.  I'll gladly provide logs at higher debug settings if it
will help, I just don't know what I should be logging at this point.

I also tried checking out a copy of the CVS tree from 10 days ago and also
from a month ago, and I found the same problem.  So either I'm doing something
seriously wrong when trying to join the domain, or this bug's been around for
a bit already. :)

Incidentally, I can still join the domain using smbpasswd -- sort of.  The
smbpasswd entry seems to be updated correctly, but if I try to connect to the
workstation using domain authentication, I get more errors..

Does this error message suggest an obvious mistake on my part, or am I looking
at a bug in TNG?

TIA,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer