Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

Mail Delivery System Mailer-Daemon at pop.de
Mon Aug 21 23:58:45 GMT 2000

A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients. The
following address(es) failed:

  tc-wedel.de!monscheu at s023250.tk.tc-wedel.de:
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:
    <tc-wedel.de!monscheu at s023250.tk.tc-wedel.de>:
    host 195.222.202.30 [195.222.202.30]:
    550 relaying to <tc-wedel.de!monscheu at s023250.tk.tc-wedel.de> prohibited by administrator

Sender: samba-ntdom at samba.org
From:   "Fox, Jennifer (South Pole Station)" <foxje at spole.gov>
To:     Multiple recipients of list SAMBA-NTDOM <samba-ntdom at samba.org>
Subject: "couldn't find service *" errors in logfile
Date:   Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:59:42 +1000

I apologize in advance if this is a silly question.  I have samba 2.0.7
running beautifully on RH 6.2 as a member server with an NT PDC (the samba
server is not a DC).  Everything is working just fine, but I get the
following messages in my log files (I did compile with --with-syslog).

sambaserver.spole.gov smbd[16785]:   username (ip address) couldn't find
service ljcomms (or sharapps or sms_shr).

I recognize these as services that the NT server offers.  I was just
wondering how the samba server even knew about them and why it is trying to
offer these services (or is it?).  Since everything is working I don't know
whether I should worry about this or not, but I would like to know where
these messages are coming from.  Here is my smb.conf:

[global]

   workgroup = SOUTHPOLE
   netbios name = MAPLE
   server string = Linux Samba Server
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = domain
   password server =  walnut
   encrypt passwords = yes
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   domain logons = no
   add user script = /usr/local/samba/bin/spole_add_user %u
   wins server = ip address of wins server
   dns proxy = no

==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = yes
   writeable = yes

[common]
   comment = Public Shared Directories
   path = /common
   writeable = yes
   guest ok = yes

Thank you.

--jenny

Jennifer Fox
Network Administrator
Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica