Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

Mail Delivery System Mailer-Daemon at pop.de
Mon Aug 21 21:47:57 GMT 2000

A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients. The
following address(es) failed:

  tc-wedel.de!monscheu at s023250.tk.tc-wedel.de:
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:
    <tc-wedel.de!monscheu at s023250.tk.tc-wedel.de>:
    host 195.222.202.30 [195.222.202.30]:
    550 relaying to <tc-wedel.de!monscheu at s023250.tk.tc-wedel.de> prohibited by administrator

Sender: samba-ntdom at samba.org
From:   Adam Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org>
To:     Multiple recipients of list SAMBA-NTDOM <samba-ntdom at samba.org>
Subject: Re: SURS, machine accounts, etc... [wasRe: Inoltra: Re: Why
 machines in  passwd anyway?]
Date:   Tue, 22 Aug 2000 07:49:37 +1000

>Yes, I've been told we also use the UID to calculate a RID.  To me
>that's the wrong approach.  Simo Sorce's patch to put the RID
>directly in smbpasswd seems to me at once more sensible and more
>efficient.  Efficient because it means in some cases we may not have
>to look up the passwd file entry at all; sensible because the RID is
>a property useless outside the Samba subsystem, so why not store it
>in a file used only by Samba?

I'm mostly just a lurker but I don't see how a search of /etc/passwd (or
nss at least) can be avoided.  When a user logs on to a Samba server the
smbd runs under their UID which comes from the /etc/passwd file (or some
other nss source).  Calculating the RID from this already know value
seems the most efficient process possible IMHO.  I see nothing wrong with
the accounts in the password database.  It is still security context
information, not really an different than having entries (uids) for
things like database engines or messaging software.